Sarah Jaus (née Bayer) specialises in foreign trade and public procurement law. In particular, she advises German and international clients in international and European trade and customs law questions as well as in questions relating to market regulation and represents them in any disputes with customs authorities or the German Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA) as well as before the German fiscal courts and European Court of Justice. Through her previous cross-border advise for many multinational companies, among others, in the chemical- and pharmaceutical sector, the energy and commodities sector, the transport and logistics sector as well as the financial sector, she disposes of detailed knowledge in a diverse range of business sectors and, particularly, a wide experience in EU sanctions law.
Sarah is admitted to the Bar in Germany (Rechtsanwältin).
Languages: German, English, French
Public Procurement Law
- Advising the KfW with regard to a large volume IT procurement procedure
- Advising an international manufacturer on self-cleaning measures and several other questions of public procurement law
- Advising juris on various question of public procurement law and in public procurement procedures
International Trade Law
- Advising and representing the Raffinerie Tirlemontoise S.A. in a preliminary ruling procedure concerning sugar market regulation before the European Court of Justice
- Representing and advising Südzucker AG in two procedures before the German fiscal courts and several appeal procedures regarding questions of sugar market regulation
- Representing an internationally operating ceramics company with regard to anti-dumping duties in disputes with a customs authority and before a German fiscal court
Sarah studied law at the Westfälische Wilhelms university of Muenster, Germany (in combination with specialised legal language training in English and French), at the university Paris X – Nanterre, France (Maîtrise en droit international et européen), at Nottingham Law School, UK (LL.M. in Environmental, Planning and Regulatory Law) and at the Humboldt university of Berlin, Germany (Dr iur). Prior to joining BLOMSTEIN, for two and a half years, she was an associate at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP and advised clients in questions of foreign trade and public procurement law.
After having finished her studies, Sarah worked as a research assistant for the administration of the German Bundestag – first in the in the field of public procurement law for the Division for General IT Policy, later for the Research Section for Foreign Affairs, International Law, Economic Cooperation and Development, Defence, Human Rights and Humanitarian Aid.
Sarah completed her legal traineeship at the Higher Regional Court of Berlin, with placements at the Federal Ministry of Economics, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, and at the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France.
- Annotations on the ECJ-judgment of 18 January 2017, Case C-365/15 (Wortmann), ZfZ 2017, 42 et seq. (together with Eva-Maria Meister)
- §§ 109 and 122 ARC, in: Prieß/Stein/Gabriel/Mertens (Hrsg.), Beck´scher Onlinekommentar Vergaberecht (together with Pascal Friton and Eva-Maria Meister)
- 6. Deutscher Energiesteuertag – Visionen, Wünsche und Realitäten, ZfZ – Zeitschrift für Zölle und Verbrauchsteuern 2016, p. 58
- Verstoß gegen das Iran-Embargo schon durch Vertragsabschluss, ZfZ – Zeitschrift für Zölle und Verbrauchsteuern 2015, p. 330 (together with Roland Stein)
- Aktueller Begriff vom 1. März 2010: Globale öffentliche Güter, Reihe der Wissenschaftlichen Dienste des Deutschen Bundestages (together with Anja Schubert) READ AS PDF
- Aktueller Begriff vom 15. Januar 2010: Völkerrechtliche Abkommen zur Verhütung und Bekämpfung des Menschenhandels, Reihe der Wissenschaftlichen Dienste des Deutschen Bundestages (together with Anja Schubert) READ AS PDF
- Aktueller Begriff vom 18. November 2009: Binnenvertriebene, Reihe der Wissenschaftlichen Dienste des Deutschen Bundestages (together with Anja Schubert) READ AS PDF
- Aktueller Begriff vom 16. Oktober 2009: Zum Internationalen Übereinkommen zum Schutz aller Personen vor dem Verschwindenlassen, Reihe der Wissenschaftlichen Dienste des Deutschen Bundestages (together with Anja Schubert) READ AS PDF
- „Sanctions and Trade Roundtable”, Frankfurt am Main, 18 January 2017
- „Customs Specialist“ course offered by the Hamburger Zollakademie, May 2017, units “Export Control” and “Customs Debt”