Tobias Ackermann advises German and international clients on international trade and public procurement law. He is admitted to the German Bar.
Languages: German, English
- Comprehensive legal counselling on the EU’s sanctions against Russia
- Representing the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action in a preliminary injunction procedure of Taiwan chip supplier GlobalWafers on its Siltronic takeover before the Administrative Court of Berlin and the Higher Administrative Court of Berlin-Brandenburg
Tobias Ackermann studied law with a focus on international and European economic law at Ruhr University Bochum. After his first state exam, he was a research assistant at the Institute for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict in Bochum and also worked at BLOMSTEIN. As a PhD student, he conducted research stays at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge, and at the European University Institute, Florence/Fiesole. His dissertation deals with issues related to armed conflicts and inter-state investment treaties. Tobias Ackermann completed his legal traineeship (“Referendariat”) at the Higher Regional Court of Berlin with placements at the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, a major international law firm (litigation department), and the German Federal Chancellery.
- EU-Sanktionsrecht: Zur Reichweite der Verbote, russische Güter zu kaufen, einzuführen und zu verbringen, Recht der Transportwirtschaft (RdTW) 11/2022, 418-423 (with Pascal Friton and Florian Wolf)
- Zuschlagskriterium einer „EU-Lieferkette“ vergaberechtswidrig, Anmerkung zu OLG Düsseldorf Vergabesenat, Beschluss vom 01.12.2021 – VII-Verg 55/20, jurisPR-VergR 6/2022 (with Pascal Friton)
- Verweis eines Bieters auf Umsätze früherer Konsortien, Anmerkung zu EuGH Große Kammer, Urteil vom 07.09.2021 – C-927/19, jurisPR-VergR 3/2022 (with Pascal Friton)
Several publications on issues of public international law and international economic law, including
- The Effects of Armed Conflict on Investment Treaties, Cambridge University Press 2022
- Investments in Conflict Zones: The Role of International Investment Law in Armed Conflicts, Disputed Territories, and ‘Frozen’ Conflicts, Brill 2020 (co-edited with Sebastian Wuschka)
- Investments Under Occupation: The Application of Investment Treaties to Occupied Territory, in: Katia Fach Gómez, Anastasios Gourgourinis, Catharine Titi (eds.), International Investment Law and the Law of Armed Conflict, Springer 2019
- A Treaty on Enforcing Human Rights Against Business: Closing the Loophole or Getting Stuck in a Loop?, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 24(1) 2017, pp. 43-79 (with Professor Pierre Thielbörger)
- Lecturer at the Hamburger Zollakademie “Zollfachkraft” (“Customs Specialist”) course on “Export Control Law” (since autumn 2022)
- Der Ukraine-Konflikt und der Investitionsschutz: Die Rolle der Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit, IFHV Discussion on the War in Ukraine: Der Ukraine-Krieg als Herausforderung an das Völkerrecht, das Verfassungsrecht und das Verwaltungsrecht, Bochum, 15 November 2022