Dr. Leonard Freiherr von Rummel, LL.M. (Stellenbosch), Maître en droit
Leonard von Rummel is specialised in public procurement and international trade law as well as German and European antitrust and competition law. He represents German and international clients in proceedings in front of customs authorities, the European Commission or the German Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA) as well as the German Federal Cartel Office.
Leonard von Rummel is admitted to the Bar in Germany (Rechtsanwalt).
Languages: German, English, French
Public Procurement Law
- Advising the successful bidder consortium consisting of Kapsch TrafficCom AG and CTS EVENTIM AG & Co. KGaA in the public procurement procedure of the Federal Ministry of Transport regarding the collection of the car toll (project “ISA-Erhebung” – JUVE)
- Representing and advising DIAMED Medizintechnik GmbH in a public procurement review procedure with regard to labaratory equipment
- Advising a microscope manufacturer in the context of a direct award of contract
International Trade Law
- Representing and advising Kobe Steel in the EU Commission’s investigation into possible safeguard measures against steel imports from third countries
- Advising a gas turbine engine sales and repair company on export control issues
- Representing and advising Südzucker AG in two procedures before the German fiscal courts
- Advising various industrial companies on sanctions and export control law regarding in connection with Russia, Iran, Ukraine, India and Israel
- Advising CRONIMET Mining AG on possible anti-dumping measures regarding the import of molybdenum into the EU
- Advising international companies on German Foreign Investment Control Laws with regard to transactions
- Representation of a oil manufacturer in a dispute with a main customs office on excise duties
- Advice and representation of various companies in questions of energy and electricity tax law
Leonard von Rummel studied law at the Eberhard-Karls University of Tübingen, the Université Aix-Marseille III, France (Maîtrise en droit international et européen) and the Stellenbosch University, South Africa (LL.M.). His legal traineeship completed Leonard at the Hansetic Higher Regional Court in Hamburg with stations at Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology and law firms in Hamburg and Shanghai.
Leonard’s doctoral thesis deals with the legal aspects of recommunalisation.
Publications / Presentations
- Leonard’s doctoral thesis deals with the legal aspects of recommunalisation
- Lecturer at the Hamburger Zollakademie ‘Zollfachkraft’ (‘Customs Specialist’) course on ‘Export Control Law’ and ‘Customs Dept’ (since autumn 2017)
- Report on the 9th ‘Deutsche Energiesteuertag’ – ‘Aktuelle Entwicklungen im Energie- und Stromsteuerrecht’ (‘Current developments on energy and electricity tax law’, ZfZ – Zeitschrift für Zölle und Verbrauchsteuern 2019, p. 10
- Contribution to the German investment protection law, Getting the Deal Through: Foreign Investment Review 2019 (with Roland M. Stein)
- Commentary on §§ 15, 16 KonzVgV, 28-30 SektVO and § 23 UVgO, in: Gabriel/Mertens/Prieß/Stein (eds.), Beck´scher Onlinekommentar Vergaberecht zum GWB, 9th ed. 2018
- Grenzüberschreitendes Interesse bei Unterschwellenvergaben, NZBau 2018, 589 (with Roland M. Stein)
- EuGH konkretisiert Kriterien für “Einrichtungen des öffentlichen Rechts”, Anmerkung zu EuGH, Urteil vom 5. Oktober 2017, C-567/15, juris-PR VergR 12/2017 Anm. 1 (with Pascal Friton)