As Special Counsel at BLOMSTEIN, Bruno Galvão takes an advisory role in public procurement and compliance matters, especially regarding self-cleaning procedures, monitoring and reviewing compliance mechanisms as well as debarment procedures of Multilateral Development Banks such as the World Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank.
Bruno also advises in ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) regulatory matters, such as the European CBAM rules, the German legislation on supply chain and certain European financial regulations (SFDR, EU Taxonomy), especially with regard to international trade matters with Latin America.
Bruno is a Brazilian and Portuguese qualified lawyer and an experienced business development manager. With his background and his keen understanding of the Brazilian market, he adds helpful perspectives in cross-border matters and thereby strengthens and expands BLOMSTEIN’s Latin American practice.
- Advising Brazilian cattle and beef sector representative, Instituto Mato-Grossense da Carne, on EU’s ESG regulatory framework, including German Supply Chain Act, Draft EU Directive on corporate sustainability due diligence, and Draft EU Regulation on deforestation-free products
- Advising German defence AI company Helsing regarding German foreign direct investment aspects on its Series A financing round
- Advising and representing multinational pharmaceutical company Teva on German foreign direct investment aspects of its licensing collaboration with MODAG
Before joining BLOMSTEIN in September 2020, Bruno worked as senior lawyer at renown law firms in Brazil, such as Teixeira Ferreira e Serrano Advogados and Mattos Filho Advogados. He has a vast experience in complex, cross-border matters concerning compliance, public procurement and public concessions procedures.
After moving to Germany in November 2014, Bruno worked at several international law firms in Berlin. At Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, he was Senior Business Development Manager for matters related to Latin America, and, as part of the Brazil Desk of another big firm, Bruno supported the corporate and venture capital practice in international transactions.
- O novo governo brasileiro e as consequências para as relações com a Europ (The new Brazilian government and the consequences for its relations with Europe), JOTA, 7 November 2022 (with Roland Stein)
- Desafios e oportunidades do mercado de carbono europeu (Challenges and opportunities in the European carbon market), Valor Econômico, 7 November 2022 (with Christian Rosa)
- ESG und internationaler Handel – Wie Umweltschutz und Menschenrechte in den Mittelpunkt der Handelsbeziehungen mit Europa gerückt werden, azur 2/2022, October 2022 (with Ramona Ader)
- Governo alemão lança manual sobre a Lei de Cadeia de Fornecimento (German Government releases handbook on Supply Chain Law), JOTA, 26 September 2022 (with Roland Stein)
- Como a regulação do CBAM na Europa pode afetar exportadores brasileiros (How CBAM regulation may affect Brazilian exporters), JOTA, 15 August 2022, (with Daniela Stump)
- Indústria do hidrogênio verde começa a ganhar corpo (Green hydrogen industry begins to take shape), JOTA, 30 May 2022 (with Roland Stein)
- Europa e a Rastreabilidade de Commodities Agrícolas (Europe and the Traceability of Agricultural Commodities), Agrolink, 14 April 2022, (with Luis Felipe Aguiar and Ana Laura Ramires)
- Avança na UE proposta que regulamenta produtos livres de desmatamento (Proposal to regulate deforestation-free products advances in the EU), JOTA, 4 April 2022 (with Roland Stein)
- Hidrogênio verde e oportunidades entre o Brasil e a Europa (Green Hydrogen and the opportunities between Brazil and Europe), epbr, 22 March 2022 (with Marcos Ludwig)
- UE busca banir commodities e subprodutos de terras desmatadas (EU seeks to ban commodities and by-products from deforested land), JOTA, 11 December 2021 (with Roland Stein)
- CBAM: a primeira taxação aduaneira de carbono do mundo (CBAM: the world’s first carbon customs tax), JOTA, 26 July 2021 (with Roland Stein)
- Alemanha discute nova Lei da Cadeia de Fornecimento (Germany discusses new Supply Chain Act), JOTA, 31 May 2021 (with Roland Stein)
- ESG e o futuro do compliance (ESG and the future of compliance), JOTA, 10 May 2021 (with Roland Stein)
- Formas de acordo e cooperação com investigações do BID (Possible cooperation and agreements in IDB’s investigations), JOTA Info, 15 January 2021 (with Roland Stein)
- Debarment por condutas irregulares em projetos financiados pelo Banco Mundial (Debarment due to irregularities in World Bank’s financed projects), JOTA Info, 4 December 2020 (with Roland Stein)
- Das brasilianische Vergaberecht, NZBau – Neue Zeitschrift für Bau- und Vergaberecht 10/2015, p. 603-609 (with Roland Stein)
- Key speaker at the European carbon market roundtable, EVEx Lisboa 2022 – conference on the energy transition in Europe and Brazil, Lisbon, 30 November 2022
- Key speaker at the seminar “Sustainability Due Diligence obligations in the supply chain”, AHK São Paulo, 16 August 2022 (with Chico Mussnich, Márcio Pereira (BMA), Alice Kasnar and Rafael Benke (Proactiva))
- Seminar on the European ESG regulation, World Trade Center Curitiba, 25 May 2022
- Co-moderator of the webinar “Brazil and Germany: Green Hydrogen Potential” hosted by BLOMSTEIN and Castro Barros Advogados, 22 October 2021 (with Paulo Dantas, Partner Castro Barros Advogados)
- Regulação da União Europeia (Regulation of the European Union), Ep. 1 of Machado Meyer Advogados’ podcast series: Transição Energética (Energy Transition), 6 October 2021 (with Roland Stein)